The Club was established in 1820 and is the oldest curling club in Ontario and second oldest in Canada being junior only to the Royal Montreal Curling Club which was established in 1807.
On June 9, 1922 the club was incorporated by Letters Patent under the Ontario Companies Act as Kingston Curlers Limited.
The Club began operating at 75 Clergy Street in 1923. On January 22, 1979 the Club was established as a non-profit shareholder organization under Supplementary Letters Patent issued by the Minister of Consumer and Commercial Relations.
On June 8, 1993 Her Majesty the Queen granted permission for the use of the title “Royal” by the Kingston Curling Club.
At the Club’s Annual General Meeting February, 1996, the shareholders voted to return their shares to the Club allowing it to reorganize. The Club, henceforth, became reincorporated as a non-shareholder corporation with newly issued Letters Patent and revised By-Law. Each fulltime member became an equal partner with full voting rights.
In September, 2005 the Club opened its current state-of-the-art facility on Days Road.
Thank you for this © Article by Helen Finley. This article appeared first in Vista, May, 2010.